The Care Under Fire Phase
The Care Under Fire (CUF) phase of treatment requires a basic management plan. The plan is comprised of basic steps. Remember, it is the basics that save lives. They are as follows:
1) Regain your situational awareness.
2) Return Fire and/or take cover.
3) Direct casualty, if applicable, to remain engaged in the fight.
4) If patient is unable to continue to fight, direct him/her to move to cover and/or apply self-aid.
5) Prevent patient from sustaining additional wounds (SEE 3 and 4).
6) Stop Catastrophic-Hemorrhage. (self-aid, buddy-aid, medic-aid)
A) Use tourniquets where applicable.
B) Hemostatic agents with pressure dressing if tactically feasible.
7) Airway mangement ought to be deferred until the Tactical Field Care phase.
The above is a loose guide. Do not limit yourself to algorithmic medicine.
Next time we will examine each step more in-depth.
If you have any comments, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org